Pulmonary rehabilitation is a medically supervised outpatient exercise and education program that can improve overall physical, mental and social functioning for patients with chronic lung disease. For patients who have been diagnosed with COPD or certain other respiratory conditions, Washington Regional’s pulmonary rehabilitation program can provide many benefits, including:
- Increased energy, strength and stamina
- Decreased shortness of breath
- Decreased anxiety and improved self-reliance
- Increased participation in daily activities
- Better understanding of disease process and management
- Reduced need for emergency room visits or hospitalizations
After a comprehensive assessment by a registered nurse and exercise physiologist, our patients have an exercise program designed especially for them. While exercising in our Pulmonary and Cardiac Rehabilitation Department, patients are carefully monitored by experienced, specially trained registered nurses and respiratory therapists. Patients’ blood pressure and oxygen saturation are carefully monitored each session.
Our pulmonary rehabilitation program also offers educational classes to help patients learn to manage their chronic lung disease.
Pulmonary rehabilitation services typically are covered by most insurance plans, including Medicare.