Our palliative care service is specialized medical care for inpatients with serious illnesses. This type of care is focused on providing patients with relief from the symptoms, pain, and stress of a serious illness—whatever the diagnosis. The goal of palliative care is to improve quality of life through management of troubling symptoms as well as providing emotional and spiritual support.
The Palliative Care team has been serving Washington Regional patients and families since 2013.
- Help with symptom management such as pain, nausea, shortness of breath and anxiety
- Patient and family meetings to assist with understanding of illness and goals of care
- Social services support
- Spiritual support
The Palliative Care Team:
- Kathlyn Cook, MD
- Melissa Lowrimore, LCSW
- Charlie Brown, PhD, BCCC
- Susan C. Jones, MSN/MHA RN, Manager
- Mark Thomas, MD, Medical Director
Who can benefit?
- Have a chronic, progressive or complex medical condition but may still wish to pursue curative options – Palliative Care is not Hospice.
- Have pain or troubling symptoms that are not well controlled.
- Have difficulty managing the complexity of their medical problems.
- Have been diagnosed with a serious illness and need support with decision-making and treatment goals.
- Are experiencing psychosocial, spiritual or caregiver distress.
- Have experienced multiple visits to the ER or re-admission to the hospital in the past six months for the same issues.
- Would like to discuss Advance Care Planning options.
- Referring clinician enters an order in Cerner for a Palliative Care Consult or calls the operator to request a Palliative Care Consult.
- One or more of the Palliative Care Team will respond and perform a comprehensive evaluation of the patient and family situation, make ongoing recommendations for symptom management, and document all interventions with the patient and family input.
- The Palliative Care Team will confer with the referring clinician.
Our service is available Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Palliative Care office is located on the fourth floor of the medical center. For questions, please feel free to contact the Palliative Care team.
Washington Regional Palliative Care
3215 N. North Hills Blvd.
Fayetteville, AR 72703
Map and Driving Directions