The Total Joint Center's comprehensive program includes an educational component called Joint Camp. Studies have shown that the more knowledgeable total joint replacement patients are about their upcoming surgery, the more successful their rehabilitation process will be.
Your Joint Camp appointment will be scheduled a few weeks before your surgery. Joint Camps are normally scheduled every Thursday, and they are held at Washington Regional Medical Center (WRMC). They last about three to four hours. Snacks will be provided.
The Total Joint Center is located on the fifth floor of the medical center. From the main lobby of WRMC, take the elevator to the fifth floor and follow the signs to the Total Joint Center. Please let us know if we need to meet you in the lobby with a wheelchair.
During Joint Camp, you may have the following:
- A Pre-admission Surgical Screening (PASS) appointment with a Registered Nurse
- Blood drawn for laboratory analysis
- Urine test for a urinalysis
- A nasal swab to check for the presence of a bacteria which some people carry in their noses or on their skin
- Possibly, an electrocardiogram (EKG) and/or a chest x-ray
- A meeting with the discharge planner/case manager to discuss plans for after discharge from the Total Joint Center
These steps will not only save you an extra visit to the hospital, but they will provide information for your surgeon, anesthesiologist and nurses about your physical health prior to surgery.
Joint Camp also provides a class that will tell you more about your surgery, your anesthesia, your physical therapy, what to expect during your hospitalization and things you can do to be prepared for your upcoming joint replacement.
Please bring a family member or friend with you to Joint Camp. This person will be your “Champion” to help you through your surgical and recovery process.
Also, please bring your insurance card, prescription card, all medications you take to Joint Camp.